IPB Style© Fisana

Photo

E39 M5 2002 100k kms US specs. Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yoka

Yoka

Stage 4 Racer

• 76 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

I am back to dubai and can afford to get a car now :)

Need your opinions about owning an E39 M5 2002. Any one owned one and willing to share his experience.

Also what would be the market value for such a car?

A friend wants to sell his and i don't want to low ball him, nor want to have a bad deal.

Also what should i look for when i check the car, anything specific about this model.

Thanks

Posted Image
Honda S2000 05 Proud owner
Nissan Murano 07 Too much space
Golf IV 99 miss this car

#2 cheap_deal

cheap_deal

Evolved - Champion

• 957 posts
  • I drive:
    e.g. 2001 Honda Civic

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

i would highly recommend you get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done at a reputed bmw expert garage. Even if its your friends car a PPI will show you of any serious issues. Considering it is a US spec car, i can almost safely assume its been in atleast one accident or flood damage. If you have the VIN number you can get a carfax report as well which may show some history of the car in the US as well as if the title is clear or salvage. I suggest everyone buying an used car to get a proper PPI done at a garage who knows what they are doing. Dont focus too much on the cosmetic condition of the car but rather the mechanical. Few dents, paint chips,, worn seats etc are really not big issues.

Also note while the e39 m5 is a cheap car to buy it is not cheap to maintain. It needs a very specific engine oil, vanos and other issues may crop up so you need to keep some additional expenses in mind annually. 

#3 Yoka

Yoka

Stage 4 Racer

• 76 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Is there any reputable BMW workshops who can give a detailed, professional and honest report, Any you would recommend?

Anyone knows a person who owned M5 E39 before that i can get in contact with? i checked about some figures for the car running cost, yet all in US so i would assume 25% over for being in UAE.

Thanks again.

Posted Image
Golf IV 99 miss this car

#4 cy00

cy00

Evolved - Champion

• 285 posts
  • I drive:
    e.g. 2001 Honda Civic

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

The BMW club uae guys would be your best bet for e39 owners. I believe octane garage in Dubai are quite good with bmws.

#5 Yoka

Yoka

Stage 4 Racer

• 76 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks man, dropped the ball, too much risk involved and i'm running my budget already on the edge.

i think i'll stick probably to a GTI or Golf R. 

Thanks for the input though.

Posted Image
Golf IV 99 miss this car

#6 cheap_deal

cheap_deal

Evolved - Champion

• 957 posts
  • I drive:
    e.g. 2001 Honda Civic

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

look at the 370z for fun, cheap horsepower and ofcourse RWD. none of that fwd bs :P

#7 Ozimandius

Ozimandius

Captain Slow

• Global Moderator
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationCoruscant
  • I drive:
    E55 AMG

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

look at the 370z for fun, cheap horsepower and ofcourse RWD. none of that fwd bs :icon-razz:

+1 to this

Speed kills, but you get there faster